What is a breaking-change?
A breaking change is a structural change made to your questions in your form/campaign/widget after it was saved the first time.
What change is considered a breaking-change?
- Removing an element with a specific identifier and later (after saving) adding a new element of a different type but the same identifier.
—> for example, you have a radio button element with the identifier “selection”. You remove this element and then add a checkbox element with the exact same identifier.
—> another example is when you have an NPS element, which has a the pre-defined identifier “nps” (this cannot be changed). You remove this and replace it with a Rating element and set its identifier to “nps”. Other elements that have pre-defined identifiers in surveys are Mood rating (“mood”) and Email (“email”), while in passive forms are Mood rating ("rating"), Comment ("comment"), Email ("email"), NPS ("nps"), Performance and Tags ("tags").
- Removing a rating/mood rating/checkbox/radio button element (essentially any element where you need to select an answer from a number of options) with a specific number of answer options and then later (after saving) replacing it with the same type of element, same identifier but a different number of answer options.
—> for example, you have a checkbox element with the identifier set to “checkbox” that has 3 answer options. You remove this, add a new checkbox element with the identifier set to “checkbox” but this one has 5 answer options.
—> another example is when you have a 5-scale rating element with identifier “rating”. You remove this, replace it with a 3-scale rating but the same identifier
- Directly modifying the identifier of the element (only possible in In-Page widgets)
- Adding a choice element (radio button, checkbox) with only one answer option
What happens when you make a breaking-change to your form?
The form will stop syncing to Insights entirely from the moment the breaking-change it made to it. This is why the main indicator of a broken form is if you cannot see any data in Insights after the form is added to your workspace.
When you add a choice element (eg. radio button) to the form with only one answer option, the form cannot be added to your workspace as it won't show up in the list of forms.
What can I do to reverse the process?
At this time, this process cannot be reversed and broken Campaigns will not sync to Insights again. Instead, we recommend duplicating your broken form, running the duplicate version and adding that to your workspace. Additionally, we recommend avoiding structural changes after you same your form for the first time to avoid this issue entirely.
What changes do not cause the form to break?
There're of course changes you're free to make in your forms without breaking it. This includes:
- Adding a new element (given it doesn’t have the same identifier as a previously removed element, as mentioned above)
- Removing an element
- Changing any text within the survey, including headings, paragraph text, questions, answer options, low/high text of NPS, Mood rating labels etc.
- Changing the theme applied to the survey
- Changing the security settings, such as enabling the collection of location or IP address (in the Advanced settings)
- Changing the order of the elements by dragging them around
- Making elements required
- Changing the targeting criteria of the survey
- Changing the scheduling options of the survey
- Changing the visibility rules/jump rules
- Changing the name of the form/campaign/widget